Sunday 2 March 2014

Ranjan the new shopper on the block

Believe it or not Ranjan, the man who never shops spent a WHOLE day shopping with his friends from Pakistan. When I say the whole day, I mean the whole day! And as the day went on and I called with obsessive regularity to ask if he had: drunk water, eaten something etc, the answer was no as the shopping was still on.

The spree began with me meeting the trio at GK market to introduce them to my opticians as the first item on the list was shades for the son. The model they wanted was not available. Then one of the friends told me he needed a rubber for a pressure cooker so off we went to my general store and got what was needed. By that time I had had my fill as I knew these would be a long and protracted shopping as they had to buy clothes and much more. The programme was still to finish all the purchasing and have a lazy lunch at the Gymkhana club. I sent them to Lajpat Nagar hoping they would find all they needed. It must have been 11.30 am. I was tickled pink at the idea of Ranjan is Lajpat Nagar, a market he had NEVER set foot in.

I began my calls. At 1pm they were still at LN looking for lahangas and suit pieces. Idem at 2 am. Lunch was nowhere in sight. Then courtesy another call I discovered they were in Connaught Place as one of the guests said he had to go there! More shopping for pants and the elusive eye glasses. No lunch, water or anything else. I was livid but at the same time amused. At 5 or so I was told Ranjan had eaten some papri chaat - street food!! - and my heart missed a beat. I almost screamed at him and told him that he could have looked for bananas instead but too late. I started praying as never before for the chaat to be digested without any consequences that we may regret. At 7pm I was told that they were heading back to GK market to finally purchase the sun shades from my shop! The shopping stalwarts returned home at 8pm. I must confess my welcome was not tender.

Ranjan has not eaten or drunk any water for over 10 hours. Gone was the regimen that makes him swallow something or the other every time the clock strikes the hour. But it was not over. I had to give in to the Saturday shot of Scottish water and cigar.

Though I was angry to say the least as I would have packed his medicines, some water and some sustenance had I known how long it would take, seeing Ranjan happy and above all seeing that he could survive such a day was in many ways proof that he is better was balm to my heart. Though I do not advise too many such days, these experience is ample proof that he can resume his golf days and more, with temperance of course.

I have also found a new shopping partner... and that is precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment