Tuesday 9 September 2014

I am busy being grateful


I am busy being grateful are words I chose to append to my signature in my email account. I did  this many years ago when I was overwhelmed with gratitude at everything I had been given in life. Then somehow when forgot about them though they sat at the bottom of each and every email waiting to be acknowledged again. I do not know why, but as I sat to write a quick mail to my daughter telling her that her Papa was safe, the words stared at me and their defining silence was full of reproach. I stood exposed as I am guilty of having forgotten for far too long how indebted I am for having been given so much. Even if I spent all the hours I have left, be they day or night, thanking God and all those who have sprinkled my life with miracles, big and small, I would still not be able to express  my gratitude. Today is a wake up call.

Ranjan is safe. It took those terrible hours to bring me back to earth and to realise how infinitesimal we are in the face of Nature and God. We may fall prey to the most exalted hubris but are brought back to earth with a bang in no time. Nature is a great leveller. It makes no difference who and what you are. I wish we understand this better. As for God he has a plan that only he knows; we as humans can only bow to His Will and understand that his plan is better than ours. I thank the Almighty for the grace he has blessed me with.

But that is not where it ends. I could not have survived this ordeal if it were not for a multitude of people, known and unknown, who reached out to me. Every word of comfort that was sent to me helped me immensely and I am deeply grateful for all who took time to write a few words. Those who know me well knew in what state I was. To all of you a big Thank You!

Then there are those who helped me trace Ranjan: a long time friend now in an important position who used his network to send rescue appeals; my colleague who went to the local Kashmir office to send a message through their wireless and even spoke to an army officer who confirmed that the group had been rescued; friends who used their connections to send messages and all those who sent their suggestions that I have dutifully followed. I do not know which one worked. For me each and everyone did.

But there are some others I need to thank: the reporters of all the news channels who continued reporting even when they had no news of their own loved ones and helped us have a connection, however tenuous, with our loved ones; the people who are working day and night, in dangerous conditions, to bring our loved ones home; the staff of the hotels who must be doing everything in their power to make our loved ones comfortable. I can only fold my hands in gratitude and say: thank you.

Yes I am busy being grateful!



No comments:

Post a Comment