Tuesday 12 November 2013

136 000 times

For the past month now, two priests have been chanting the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra for Ranjan. Tomorrow the puja will finish and the priests would have chanted it 136 000 times. The literal translation would be the Death Conquering Mantra and is from the Yajur Veda (3-60). It is known to be an extremely powerful mantra. This mantra is said to have the power to remove all sufferings, ward off all evils, remove diseases and bestow the aspirant with health and energy. And it is said that when this mantra is it chanted with great devotion and serious contemplation it is said that the knowledge of this birth and death cycle is revealed to the aspirant. And thus it helps in overcoming the fear of death.

One may wonder how a Cartesian like me would get such a ritual done. But as I have said many times in this battle I will leave no stone unturned, and no known remedy untested. And though I am Cartesian I am also the one who has been brought up on the big picture theory by a father who too was Cartesian by nature. He turned to spirituality in the later half of his life and embraced pure bhakti. If I recall correctly, it was during his posting as  President of of the UN Commission in Saigon that he turned to God. Maybe he sensed what lay ahead and was frustrated by how little he could do is spite of his best intentions. I guess it is at moments of crises that we remember a greater presence. When is elder brother got seriously ill and we all feared for him, Papa got a Maha Mrityunjay Puja for him. My uncle outlived my father by 10 years!

When Ranjan got ill I had a small version of the Puja done. At that time we were helplessly groping in the dark not knowing what was ailing him. When the beast was exposed and turned out to be the one I dreaded, I decided it was time to unleash the big canon. I must admit that things have gone well and Ranjan has showed remarkable progress in the last few months. He is looking much better and barring the few post chemo days, is almost back to his old self. I do not know if it is the prayers or the cannabis! For me it is everything put together as part of the Big Picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment