Monday 11 November 2013

The second opinion

For quite some time many have been pushing me to get a second opinion. As far as I was concerned a second opinion from any Doctor part of the medical bizMess seemed a waste of time as I knew that it would be a case of you scratch my back I scratch yours, but any way once again it was people I care for and who have stood by me that asked me to get the second opinion. I guess I too hoped against hope that the second opinion may stop the chemos at 8! How gullible can I be, even after my recent close encounters with the commercial medicine kind. Anyway I finally got an appointment with a supposedly eminent oncologist of another five star super speciality hospital. This one is located at the other end of the city. This meant braving the evening traffic. We did and reached yet another hallowed portal. Found our way to the right place and settled down to wait. Blissfully the wait was not too long. I had taken all the papers and put them in chronological order to allow the Doctor to have easy access to the case history. I was prepared to answer all questions and maybe ask some of my own. To my mind basic bedside manners and even the minimal second opinion protocol would at least entail the Doctor looking at the papers, even perfunctorily, to at least to make the person who has come seeking a second opinion feel reassured.

You seek a second opinion when in despair and often for a loved one. Even if you ultimately will agree and second the treatment prescribed by a colleague, at least play the game by some basic ethical rules. That was not at all the case. The Doctor did not look at any papers. he did not even ask me why I wanted a second  opinion I was hoping he would compare the 2 scans one before chemo and one after chemo 6 and then pretend to think, look at a few papers and finally give his opinion. My second opinion lasted precisely 3 minutes or 3.30 at best. No report was looked at. I gave a very brief case history and that was it. He said we were on the right track and he would be cured after chemo 12. Of course one more PET scan would be  needed to as he put it 'record' the situation.

We were dismissed but I wanted a few more answers. What about secondary cancers. Well they could happen in 20 years was what I was told. I then could not resist telling him that at best chemotherapy would cure 80% of the cancer, the balance 20 had to be taken care by the patient's immune system. The young doctor who was sitting there looked at me and smiled. I then asked for the fee and was told a sum that I handed over.

I did not know whether to laugh or cry or be angry. I only knew two things: one that I would never seek a second opinion unless it is from a Doctor in a Government hospital, and two I just need to grit my teeth and go through the remaining 4 chemos and then bid farewell forever to this line of treatment. Every dog has his day; mine will come after the 27th December 2013!

1 comment:

  1. These days so many doctors do not give you what you need most - their time! Here are some huge hugs ( ) ( ) to help you through to the end of the year. With love , Irene

    ReplyDelete