Saturday 11 January 2014

Bye Bye Hospital


Yesterday, that is January 11 2014 at 6.45pm we bid farewell to the hospital I hope for a long long time. For over 7 months we had had to visit the hospital for consultations, biopsy, chemo port placing, Xrays, lung function tests, PET scans and 11 chemos! We had to deal with incompetence, incomprehension, pain, attack on all our senses and much more.

Yesterday was the chemo port removal, a surgical procedure done on the OPD. It was long and quite messy but oh darling this being India, I was able to stretch across the bed and hold Ranjan's hand through the procedure. It was comforting for the both of us but come to think about it, quite scary if one thinks of infections et al.


The doctor was very gentle and I kept saying silly things to make the mood as light as possible. But it was intense as it took 20 minutes and more than 15 odd stitches. I also decided to ask for the port for keeps. Come to think of it it has been something that I could possess that had actually touched Ranjan's heart!

Now the hitch was about how to give me the port as it was actually quite a mess. The Doc has a brilliant idea and it was given to me in a surgical glove. Quite a unique fashion statement is it not!


It was suddenly worth a few laughs and a unique photo op.


Had to share this with all those who have lived this journey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment