Friday 3 January 2014

Over the moon

I needed a sign to give me the boost I so need to keep the adrenaline pumping. For the past months life had moved from chemo to chemo in rhythmic movements of 15 days. It was to go on till December 27th, but then chemo 12 was cancelled and suddenly time took on another pattern. We were a bit lost and I was frightened of the future. Let us not forget that the next two blood counts in spite of booster shots were scary to say the least. I almost felt that I had let my guard down and missed something. I felt almost guilty. I was convinced that all the support brews and pills would have protected the immune system, but seemed like it had not quite happened the way I had hoped. I went into damage control and pumped Ranjan with extra protein and other stuff. Then came blood test day and the wait for the results. I was anxious and paced like a lion in a cage.

By 6pm I had bitten my nails to the core. That is when I got the SMS informing me that the results had been uploaded. I was scared but could not wait and downloaded and printed the results out and WOW there was the sign I was so desperate for. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MORE THAN 18 MONTHS RANJAN'S HAEMOGLOBIN HAD CROSSED TWO DIGITS: IT WAS 10.21. There was my sign. Somehow I knew that it would be all uphill from now on. True we were not completely out of the woods but it looked like the immune system was working. His White blood cells were 4200 and platelets 350 000. The adrenaline rush was comforting and welcomed. It was time to take the challenge head on.

So tomorrow is PET Scan and I am sure it will be good news. Then we will schedule the removal of the chemo port as having it there is a reminder of cancer and I do not want ANY such reminders. Then we will go full with the alternative therapies and I hope that June 2014 will bring the miracle I seek.




1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic news - I've got fingers (and everything else) crossed for the PET scan. If anybody deserves good news, it's you! love and hugs, Irene

    ReplyDelete