Monday 9 September 2013

Celebrating Ganesh

Every morning I sit at the small alter outside my room to say my prayers. The alter is the same one my parents prayed at. It is an eclectic mix of idols that have grown over time, each one of us adding their own. If you look carefully you would also realise that some are of different faiths. Among them, and maybe one of the oldest ones is the Ganesha you see in this picture. This morning it being Ganesh Chaturthi, I chanted a special prayer to this idol. It is only much later in the day that I realised that this idol and I shared a 'birthday'. It is strange how memories are coming back these days. Though I prayed everyday in front of this idol, I had completely forgotten how we were linked and how special he was in my life. I would like to share this story.

When Mama was pregnant of me, things were very tense as two years earlier Mama had lost her first born, my brother. She had a special statue of Goddess Parvati and use to pray to it every day and every evening. A day or so before my birth, when she went to touch the feet of the statue it fell apart. probably a maid had broken it and just put it back together. But for mama it was a bad omen and she was in tears and devastated. Papa did not know what to do. We were in communist Prague and finding a Hindu idol was not the easiest of things. But his love for mama was so intense and irrational that he promised to find her a Parvati before the end of the day.

Papa went from antiquary to antiquary looking for the Goddess. After a very long search he found this Ganesh in the back room of a small shop, lying on the floor and covered with dust. He brought it back and told my mother that he could not find Parvati but found her son and that he would protect the unborn child.

I was born some hours later and though there were some problems, both Ma and I survived. Mama placed a small coral pendant of Ganesh around my neck and I wore one for many years. I was simply told he was my brother and would protect me always.

Today, after many years I remembered this link. Serendipity at work again! I must admit that I had forgotten it as life took its course. I would like to believe remembering my Ganesh Bhaiya on this blessed day is a sign that all will be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment