Friday 20 September 2013

Chemo five a psychedelic trip

This picture was taken at 7.30 am at the counter of the oncology ward of Max hospital. Ranjan is looking very dapper in his jeans and black T shirt not to forget the trim silhouette. Could break hearts or so I would like to believe. Still has mine! Sadly that is not the way he looked when we left at 2 pm. I did not have the heart to take a snap. The seven hours turned out to be a real psychedelic trip where the letters LSD (illegal) were replaced by ABVD (legal). Just to give you a picture ABV are preceded by what is called premeds after the painful moment when the needle is placed in the port. However this morning the needle did not hurt as much as the last time and everyone was happy and hoped the trip would be a good one. We had arrived, Ranjan, Dharmendra (who has been a rock) and self with our big red ice box stuffed with ice and two bags of frozen pears, my big bag with carefully concealed peanut butter sandwiches, the iPad and the book Ranjan was reading.
The premeds were given and we were waiting for the pharmacist who makes the deadly cocktail. Ranjan who had had his normal breakfast stated he was hungry and wolfed the first sandwich. I decided to come home as all seemed spot on and have a break and get him some lunch. Got a call informing me that the A had begun and the doctor was expected so rushed back with two egg paranthas hidden in my bag hoping that the smell would not attract the attention of the grim security guard. A was still on and Ranjan wanted sandwich number two! I was happy. It looked like we would have a happy trip.

The Doctor came and we had a nice chat and he found everything in order. A was over and it was time for B. I filled a glass with ice and Ranjan decided to watch and episode of his favourite 50s sitcom: The Honeymooners. Dharmendra and I had some project matters to discuss and we did while keeping and eye on the drip. It must have been past 11 am. Ranjan stopped watching for a bit and wanted his lunch. So we gave him one parantha. Soon it was time for drug V before a short toilet break. We all resumed our positions, Ranjan with his movie, and Dharmendra and I with our discussion. Eyes of course were on the drip. Around 12 15 or so it was time for yet another change V to D. D is the dreaded one as it is the longest: almost two hours. But all seemed well as we tripped along. Parantha two was also consumed. We were hoping against hope that it would be a good trip. The episode ended and instead of putting on a new one, Ranjan put the iPad away and started looking different. No smile. That is when I remembered the peas that were meant to be put on his hand to keep the nails from turning blue.

I got them out and thought it would make smile if not laugh but he refused to put his hand and did after a lot of coaxing. That is when we realised that this was turning into a bad trip. The next 90 minutes were difficult. As D dripped into his veins, I could see his body language changing and his face contorting. Every question was answered in a brusque manner if at all. He refused the ice, the peas and even my poor jokes. I just watched him helpless, looking at the big bottle filled with the V and willing the drops to move faster. But it was a losing battle. Dharmendra and I watched helplessly. Our attempts at conversation with Ranjan were futile. Time took a Bergsonian perception and hung heavy on our heads. I asked Dharmendra to complete all the formalities so that we could leave as soon as D was over and head home. Ranjan started feeling nauseous so I gave him a medicine I was carrying in my bag. We managed to be out by 2 pm and blissfully there was little traffic and we were home in 20 minutes. Ranjan was miserable and just lay down. I lay quietly beside him, watching his disturbed sleep. When I felt him he was hot. His temperature was 100.7. I called the doctor. He told me not to worry and to give him paracetamol. I did. I just hope he feels better and has something to eat and a sound sleep.

Tomorrow is another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment