Sunday 1 September 2013

No update today

No update today is the message I got this morning at 6.37 am. This from a dear friend who normally sleeps late and wakes up late, but never fails to respond to my early morning update about Ranjan. Normally my update beeps on his mobile between 5 and 6 am or sometimes even earlier. This little ritual, that may seem insensitive to some who may wonder why I do not wait for an earthly hour to send my message, is my lifeline. I send my message, get my reply and somehow I know that all will be well for the day. Today the internet let me down and hence this message. Will remember to send an SMS if ever the same situation occurs. Though I am somehow net savvy, I am a creature of habits and thus like to sit at my computer in my den/cockpit and communicate with the world.

But maybe this also was ordained by the one upstairs who sees the big picture and sends messages in her/his amazing ways. This simple message opened my eyes to yet another positive and wonderful 'side effect' or Mr Hodgkin's stopover. I have never been a formality person and loathe commiserations and duty or whatever bound calls and visits that ring fake. To me any relationship that is true and valued does not need stand on formalities. If I am your friend, then I need not visit you or call you to prove it. You just need to know that I am there for you. These morning exchanges are proof of that and validate my way as I have often been accused of not being good at keeping appearances. One of the incidents that really took the cake was when in our early marriage days I rarely or almost never attended Ranjan's official parties, as we each had our professional life and I did not expect him to tag along with me, people started thinking that all was not well in our marriage! I cannot remember if I did make a few appearances. Knowing me I do not think so.

In the last months I am overwhelmed by the number of people who have come into my orbit to extend help and support. This has been the best 'side effect' I could have ever hoed for. Thank you all who read this blog, leave a comment, send a mail and above all wait for the beep of a message that comes when sane people sleep. I am a little insane!

Just a word about this picture: Ranjan loves the mountains and he loves his pipe. I do not remember when and where this snap was shot. But he has a dream: to build a cottage on a little piece of land he has bought in the hills. My dream is to see him smoke his pipe looking at the eternal snow line from his cottage. As for the pipe, I wait for the doctor's orders!



1 comment:

  1. This is my first hearing of Ranjan's ailment. I am sorry to hear, but I hope for a swift recovery to great health!

    ReplyDelete