Monday 9 September 2013

Pink happy glasses

I need pink glasses. These are fabulous. Wonder where I could find a pair! They are glasses that hide a pen! So you put them on, take the pen out and write happy thoughts. In these difficult times I would like to have a pair of such glasses that I could put on each time things felt a little too much to handle. So rather than brooding one would just perch the glasses on ones nose and think happy thoughts. But all this is chimera and these glasses are out of reach so one has to invent ones' own happy pink glasses. That is what I am trying to do.

Life is a blend of good and not so good - do not want to use the word bad - occurrences. The good ones we accept as our due, but the not so good ones trigger off a slew of negative feelings: hurt, disappointment, anger and even resentment. This happens all along our lives. It could a childish whim not fulfilled, poor marks in an exam, a love story gone wrong, an unfair dressing down is at work, a friend's betrayal, a loved ones health : the list is endless. We feel upset and let down.

Each of us have our own coping strategies which can vary from time to time. When I use to get hurt a s a child and even later, my father always recalled his 'big picture' theory. Life was a big picture full of hues some dark and some bright and colourful. Only God, whoever that was, saw the picture in its entity; we only saw little pieces of it and sometimes those bits were the dark blotches. One simply had to remember that life was movement and that these dark patches would pass. He would also sometimes add that even the dark speckles had a reason we could not see or know so we had to accept them with the same gratitude as we accepted the colourful ones. It was a bit difficult for a child to things of having to than someone for unhappiness but somehow papa's words were soothing and always made things better. I must admit that I have often resorted to the big picture theory it times of strife.

One other coping strategy I have adopted sometimes is trying to imagine the worst case scenario and ask myself if I have the strength to withstand it. If I do, then the rest becomes easy. It has worked many times for me in the past and got me out of difficult impasses.

Happy pink glasses are not glasses that make you see life in a rosy hue, but ways of making things easier knowing that nothing is static. Life is a dynamic process where each experience makes you a better and perhaps wiser being.

The past days, months and even more than a year must be an enormous dark smear on my big picture, one that I still cannot see the end off, though I must admit that it has cleared a little bit since we have been able to identify the cause of Ranjan's ill health. And even with all odds on our side, it will still be a while till we can see the sun shine again in our lives. As for the words scenario theory, I will not venture in that direction this time.

My happy pink glasses simply show me the day we would have moved out of the dark into the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment