Thursday 12 September 2013

What the stars have foretold

Some of you may or may not believe in astrology. I did not for a long time and even found it ludicrous when my mom dared suggest Ranjan and I get our astrological charts matched. It is one the rare times I must have told Ma to shut up and sand leave alone. I had decided to marry someone because I had fallen in love and no stars would make me change my time. When my elder child was born she fell extremely ill and we feared for her life. I think Ma must have surreptitiously gone to her pet astrologer and found out that all would be well, it was just a bad moment that would pass. Then I forgot all about as(s)trology as it never concerned me and anyway in mind it was akin to mumbo jumbo. But then, I think something happened. I don't quite remember what and I was extremely worried. A friend suggested I go and see her 'astrologer'. When she saw my reaction she quickly added: he is just a regular guy like us!

I did go and meet him and almost fell of my chair when I saw one of the most handsome men I have come across wearing a pair of jeans and a Tshirt. I think I had expected a dhoti clad person with a turban! This 'astrologer' had studied at St Stephens, got umpteen gold medals and then studied Sanskrit and Astrology in Benares (no one says Varanasi anymore). He could quote Baudelaire and Rimbaud, and was engaged to a lovely French girl. He spent a lot of time explaining that astrology was a science and if one was able to draw someones chart, then one could predict anything, even as trivial as a car breakdown! But for this you had to view the 'astrologer' as a doctor and be willing to ask answer precise questions. Many viewed astrologers as 'magicians' or 'star gazers' and wanted to be dazzled. So this young man, he must be a couple of years younger than me, worked out my chart and calmed my worries. I would meet him years later in Paris when I was again going through a very bad patch after my parent's deaths and he again told me how long it would take to get out of the dark. Somehow when you know that your worries are for a limited time, even a longish one, you have something to look forward to. That is the way my friend looks at astrology. He does not prescribe 'remedies' like many do, at best a mantra to be chanted or a small puja performed. Since, whenever we have been going through rough patches and thanks to the Internet, I have always been in touch and got my worries allayed.

So you will not be surprised if I told you that when Ranjan became sick I got in touch with him. He has never sugar coated anything and this time he told me that Ranjan was going through a very bad patch but would come out of it. I was relieved but what still worries me is that according to him, the worst months are October to December 2013. When I asked him what to do, he told me to try and build up Ranjan's immunity to the maximum before October.

So even as I marvelled at the fact that Ranjan is doing great, the next three months loom large and I am truly worried. So much can go wrong, a simple infection, a flu, anything can come our way and how on earth does one keep these at bay. What the stars have foretold is not what I would have prayed for, but I also know that it is only a matter of three months and the sun will shine again, bright and warm. It is just a matter of taking it one day at a time, one week at a time and we will see the light and what looks today like a very long dark tunnel.

I also know that there is a Little prince who lives on a star and sees with his heart, who will sprinkle his magic dust and conjure a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment