Wednesday 11 December 2013

First Date

As I was asked by Ranjan a few days back if I would be his girlfriend, I thought it would be amusing to share with you our first date! It was truly picaresque. Before I go on, a little word about this picture. I looked high and low for a picture of Ranjan with his lovely curly black mop of hair, and realised that he had greyed so early that the choices were few. This is the best I found. You will understand how easy it was to fall in love with this fellow.

But back to the first date. For those who are of my vintage and lived in Delhi, you would remember where the Cottage Industries was located and its famous eatery Bankura that was located outside with wrought iron chairs and big pedestal fans. You had a choice of mutton, chicken or vegetable lunch. The mutton had two options: stew and cutlet. My favourite was the oily stew served with potatoes and boiled veggies and two slices of bread, all stuffed on a plate so that by the time you got it the bread had already soaked much of the sauce. It was yummy. So date no 1 was a lunch date and the venue Bankura. I had worn one of mama's saris, a yellow with red border if I remember well, high heels and though it was late February had not bothered to take anything warm. We were young and vain. I had thought that the date would be lunch and the proverbial Saturday afternoon English movie.

We settled down at a table and I was already to order my mutton stew delight when I realised that Ranjan was a little fidgety. Imagine my surprise when he said he would not eat anything. I wondered what was wrong! It took him a few minutes to tell me that he had to play a hockey match in Dhaula Kuan at 3pm and had to go home to change! He asked me if I would come along. I said yes without batting an eyelid! I could not have imagined what awaited me. Of course there was no mutton stew.

Ranjan had a scooter so sari, heels and I perched on it and we drove to his abode, a barsati on Malcha Marg. I followed him all the way up sari and heels notwithstanding and was impressed by how neat his room was. He opened his cupboard and changed behind it. I again did not bat an eyelid. It was down the stairs on the pillion of the scooter and more zipping.

We reached the army hockey ground wherever that was and suddenly I found myself seated on a bench and Ranjan muttered something and disappeared to join his team. I knew no one. I had no clue about what a hockey match was. And having not worn my glasses could barely make out Ranjan on the ground.

Mama and me had a deal. I had to tell her what time I would be back and not be a minute later unless I had called and informed her. I could see time flying and had no way of getting to a phone. Remember there were no mobiles then. When the match was over, I begged Ranjan to hurry up as my deadline was approaching. By that time, the weather had changed and it was getting chilly. We made another stop at his house so that he could lend me a sweater and get something warm for himself.

When we reached close to my house, I saw mama pacing the road. I hopped of the scooter, barely introducing Ranjan and hurried home ready for a dressing down. Mercifully it was not too bad. The rest his history.

That was our first date! A date to remember!

Of course we had had nothing to eat, but who needs food when one is in love!


2 comments:

  1. LOVED READING THIS. LOVE YOU. You both are always in my prayers. Padma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaahhhhh........lovely story!

    ReplyDelete