Sunday 20 October 2013

A sprinkling of magical dust

Yesterday was our 39th anniversary. Ranjan had still not recovered from Chemo 7 and spent the day sleeping or gazing at the idiot box. I was a bit at a loss not knowing what to do. I had been for my weekly session at the parlour and was hoping to take Ranjan shopping for shoes, as that is what he wanted for his anniversary but he was in no mood to go.Writing that normally fills many gaps in my life did not quite happen. I guess the sort of indolent mood set by Ranjan caught up with me to, and I found myself in lazy mode. Just lay down and tried to read but my thoughts were travelling on their own freewill. I tried to remember what I was doing at that time 39 years ago but somehow could not. So I let my memories flow and what ensued was a kaleidoscope of all the good moments Ranjan and I had together and that had been obliterated by the sprinkling of bad ones that had always taken centre stage when they occurred.

It was perhaps the first time ever that I had not been actively engaged in planning and executing the celebration. Since Ranjan has been diagnosed with cancer Shamika has taken over the running of the house. A true blessing. Ranjan who is obsessed by food since he is on his diet, tried asking what we were having for dinner. Shamika kept a straight face and said something like: boiled potatoes! The house was unusually quiet for a party day, even if the party was just us! I had seen nothing party like in the fridge and when I asked Shamika what she had planned she told be to keep quiet. I did. The passed and still no movement in the kitchen. The control freak in me started fretting.

Come 7 pm we were asked to come down. Ranjan dragged himself out of his bed still muttering about the food. When we were all gathered, in comes Shamika with two plates of prawns and olives on sticks. I was taken aback and so proud of my little girl. But that was not all there was smoked salmon, and lovely caramelised onion tarts. It was a real treat made even more special by the surprise arrival of Ranjan's best friend. But there was more, if the salmon was for me at it is one of my guilty pleasures she had a bigger treat for Ranjan: his all time favourite Oeufs Mayo or eggs with mayonnaise. To many this dish may seem the wrong one for a gourmet like Ranjan but it comes with a story. Oeufs Mayo for Ranjan carry the memory of him sitting in the cafe overlooking the Opera in Paris and savouring his oeufs mayo with a salad. The whole experience is special for him and like Proust's madeleines, the taste of these simple eggs bring back enchanting moments. I must admit though that in Paris the next dish is Foie Gras, a gourmet treat!

Shamika sprinkled her very own kind of magical dust made this dull day a moment of celebration that I will remember all my life. Daughters are a very special gift from God. I have been blessed with two. Who wants sons!

1 comment:

  1. How sweet of Shamika to arrange these special treats to brighten your day.

    I agree about daughters. I have one, and have never wished for a son.

    So chemo 7 is done - past half way now. I hope the remaining 5 go well. with love, Irene

    ReplyDelete