Thursday 18 July 2013

A sampling of what awaits

This morning went to the next door nursing home to get R's biopsy stitches removed. They were actually staples. The nurse was smiling and as gentle as could be but removing staples does hurt a little. I have lots of stitched removed but do not recall staples. I was surprised to see R wince and then even let out a cry while the stitches were being removed. I held on to his hand to see him through the ordeal. As I have written before in our almost 40 years together I have practically never seen R sick. The odd cold or stomach upset did occur. I must confess he has never been a very good patient!

His absolute loathing for needles even made him miss the mandatory vaccinations. Poor chap. The last year made up for a life time with the amount of pokes he had with blood tests and other investigations. he bore them bravely, I guess because he more than anyone else wanted to know what was wromg with him and why he was wasting away.

I shudder Monday as he will have to undergo a bone marrow needle biopsy and though the doctor assured him it does not hurt 'much' I am sure it will be agony for R. And then the chemotherapy. I will try and make it as easy as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment