Wednesday 24 July 2013

The journey begins

On Friday 26th July we being R's chemo. It will preceded by a PET scan (Positron emission tomography) which I believe is absolutely imperative! I am not happy as these scan pass a radioactive substance through your body and that has the risk of radioactive exposure. But I agreed because the Doctor we met was extremely nice and just the kind of Doctor I had prayed for. He explained every step taking his time to answer my most inane questions. So my prayer for the right Doc was answered. With the present investigations we have in hand he confirmed a stage 2 B. But we still await the bone marrow results. If these are good then it is 2B. If not it is 3 or 4. In the better case the chances of cure are 60%, in the worst they are 50%. The other 50% is in the hands of God.

There will be 12 chemo sessions over the next 6 months so the journey ends on 26 January 2014. According to Dr Vora the worst sessions will be the last 2 when one is fed up of the whole thing. We plan to place a line on the next session as it will make things easier. That will be a minor surgery. I really hope they do as R is very fidgety when he has an intravenous line in his arm. We saw that when we did the first transfusion. In this case we cannot have him move and run the risk of the medicine spilling out. Must find a way of sorting this one!

The side effects are there: nausea that can be controlled, extreme fatigue and weight loss and of course the dreaded hair loss. I intend to shave my had when his hair falls and keep it that way till his comes back.

So this is the news.

The processing has not begun, neither in my head nor his.

I guess the next blog will have the anger, pain and the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment