Tuesday 23 July 2013

Conquering the other C

In a few hours we will be meeting the oncologist who will lead the team that will administer the chemo to Ranjan. Most probably the 'protocol' followed will be ABVD ( doxorubicin - Adriamycin- , Bleomycin, Vinblastine and Dacarbazine). They are all poisons of sorts that stop the growth and destroy cancer cells. On the way the also destroy healthy cells hence the terrible and unpleasant side effects. The story of these lethal drugs makes an interesting read and shows how allopathy actually works. In the Emperor of all Maladies, Siddharta Mukerjee traces the life of this age old disease in a fascinating way. I am more than half way through and have witnessed the birth of the 4 drugs that will soon become an intrinsic part of my life.

I always feel that one of the best ways to conquer an enemy is by getting to know it as best you can. And that is what I am doing no. Knowing the enemy is also getting the better of your fears and learning how to deal with them. In this journey we will have to make friends at least temporarily.

I was reading a book called 50 things to do when you have cancer and one of the earliest is to take the lead in the therapy and ask all the questions you need to know about the proposed treatment and never accept to be bullied by the doctor. I had selected such an doctor but because of Insurance Oblige have to settle for an overcrowded hospital where doctors give you scant time. I am armed with my list of questions and also prepared to read every line of the consent form and score out the one I do not like. before the biopsy we were made to sign a form and I crossed out the line that ask for permission to use filming and pictures for commercial purpose. Believe it or not there was such a line or so I do intend to look at every line carefully before consenting to anything! I also intend asking every question that disturbs me from what would happen if we did nothing at all, to what the line of therapy be, its schedule, the short term effects, the long term effects, the signs to watch out for in between chemos and I expect ANSWERS. I do not want to be pushed around. I want a telephone number that will always be answered should I have a question or some unexpected reaction.

So today goes like reading my book to end if possible before 3.30pm. I think I should be able to as I read fast and even in a moving auto rickshaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment