Monday 19 August 2013

My head is taking me everywhere

For the past few days we all have been dealing in our own way with another elephant in the room, one so big that it overshadowed the other one. I refer to Agastya's departure. Yes he left late yesterday night. As I said we each had our coping strategies: Ranjan smothered him with kisses and hugs; I made several trips with him to the toy shop looking for the tiniest cars so that his mom would not give me another mouthful. She did but we hid the cars in his bag! His cricket team - the gardener, the auto driver and his pal Deepak - gave their best, in spite of the rain. Geeta made his favourite food. None of us admitted to being sad. How could we? We are adults. But children are different. They have not learnt deceit and guile. They say what they feel in the best way they know. So did my little fellow.

He stood at the bottom of the staircase and knowing how much we all were upset simply said: My head is taking me everywhere? He just knew we all wanted to be with him. his nana upstairs, his cricket pals outside and I ready to take him out. I just hugged the little bloke and told him to do what his heart wanted. He stood a while, picked up his bat and went out. A few instants later we heard his giggles and laughter. All was well. The moment had passed.

As I sit in an empty house I wonder where my head will take me today. For now, I am just numb!

No comments:

Post a Comment