Thursday 22 August 2013

Needles and ports

Zozo a.k.a Mr Hodgkin is an unwanted guest. We all know that. He is a real pain in the ****! The main reason is that nothing and I mean NOTHING can be planned in advance. Not even a day in advance. For the past month we have been trying to get a chemo port placed as Ranjan hates needles. poor chap I have lost count of the number of pokes he has had in the past year! But two chemos down we have not been able to place the port. It is all a matter of numbers and their vagaries. They go up or down at their own sweet will, sometimes in the span of a few hours. If the haemoglobin is up -- hurray - as it is the case today, the white blood cells that were fine two days back have slumped. And the saga goes on. So till 5pm today we had it all planned: chemo port placement at 7am and then 3rd chemo. But at 5 10 pm I got today's blood results and the white cells are down. Call to the oncologist who says that we go ahead with the port and then we shall see about the chemo. Damn!

So another night wondering how tomorrow will go. Just the port and back home by 10 am or chemo with a low level of WBCs and home by the evening and then dreading the next blood result. And then fixing another day for chemo 3 and so on.

Each time the counts dip, I find myself trying to look for new brews that could do the trick. I must say Ranjan does not complain and swallows everything I give. I guess my concoctions are better than needles.


No comments:

Post a Comment